Your first game...
If this is your first time at a Dystopia Rising event we invite you to attend a training module that starts Friday at 9:30pm after the completion of the opening announcements. Even if you are an experienced gamer or larper it’s highly recommended that you attend. There are items within our game that may be different from games you have played in the past or are playing currently. This is also a great opportunity to get to know new people. We are a community-based game and we want you to be a part of our community!
We will provide a starter weapon card for every weapon skill you have if it is your first event. We will also provide a starter armor card for players up until their 2nd event. Starter armor cards are limited, with a rating between 1 and 30 points of armor. This means you will be able to get right into the action of surviving and fighting in the wastes.
Every player can rewrite their entire character sheet once before their third event. Take a chance and play something fun. If you don't like what you started with and want to go a different route with your character, you can change it.
Players should come prepared for a weekend surviving in the post-apocalyptic future. Bring plenty of food, a sleeping bag, and a contact safe weapon. A pair of simple, black clothes for NPC shift is also preferred. If you need to play in a noncombatant fashion, you may. Requirement for noncombat players are to wear a bright orange headband. This alerts other players to not physically contact you during fight sequences.
A few things that you want to make sure you bring to every event are:
- Red flashlight/lantern (It is the apocalypse and the lights just aren't as good as we are use to having. No bright lights for your flashlights and lanterns. )
- Genre appropriate eating utensils, dishes and drinking containers(We like to help the environment too so please do not bring disposable items for this. Be kind and reuse all your items for eating and drinking)
- Food and drink (Food and drinks are the responsibility of the players for now. Post to the DR:CO facebook group to see if anyone Is providing a meal plan for the event you intent to partake in)
- Toiletries and medications needed for the weekend
- Shoes with GOOD tread.
Where do I go when I arrive to site?
If you’ve never larped before, this may all seem pretty overwhelming, so here’s a helpful list of what to do. Here’s your (suggested) checklist for arrival:
Get your sleeping location sorted out first. Find your home away from home and get settled. We are a first come, first served game, so it’s important you do this first.
After you’ve secured your sleeping location and gotten whatever you feel needs doing done, you will need to make sure the following is completed:
o 1 – Make sure you have your weapons safety checked in the saloon (or just outside the saloon in the warmer months). A weapons marshal will check your weapon and tag it if it passes.
o 2 – If it’s your first time playing, make sure you have your armor rated. This can also be done at the saloon.
o 3 - If this is your first time playing you will need to sign a waiver. This can be done at either logistics or the saloon.
o 4 – If you pre-registered you can pick up your packet at the saloon (it will be a set of manila envelopes.)
o 4a – if you DID NOT pre-register you must head down to logistics to complete your registration and pay
o 5 – If you have a check-in skill that requires plot interaction (big dig, etc) you must come down to logistics to complete that skill use
o 6 – Your car MUST be offsite by 9pm. Please place it in the lower packing lot.
o 7 – Game has a “soft” start at 9pm (no combat).
o 8 – Attend Opening Announcements at 9:30 in front of the saloon. Opening ceremonies will include a variety of safety information and going over rules that might be relevant to that game. This is mandatory for new players
o 9 – Game goes live after opening ceremonies.
o 10 – If you are a new player, there will be a new player mod to help you get familiar with the game but also arrive in character appropriately.
Some things to be aware of:
- We are a 24 hour immersion game. You will eat and sleep in character. With that try to keep your food stuffs in genre appropriate packaging and wear genre appropriate clothes to sleep. If you must sleep out of character the Directing Coordinator or assigned Health and Safety individuals must sign off on your sheet that you have been approved for out of character sleep. Marshals -can not- sign off on players sleeping out of character.
- Basic details of world genre are in the free players guide. The majority of genre materials are located in the Dystopia Rising Table Top Books. While you do not HAVE to know the materials in these books, they will enrich your game play experience a ton. The same way that live action role playing games based on popular fandoms are only exceptional if you know the materials, the same applies to DR LARP. While you can have a blast at the game not knowing anything, you will get a much deeper and richer experience from knowing the table top books.
- We are a community based game. We want you to come, enjoy, have fun, and be a part of our community. As a community we have certain guidelines that everyone must follow that are in our rule book. Gender bias, racism, threats, or any other form of persecution and obnoxious activities expressed to our players on an out of character level isn't welcome. We strongly ask that all of our players and staff leave any baggage at the door, enjoy a fantastic gaming weekend, and keep reality and game separated. We are all here to have an awesome time doing a hobby we all love and we do our best to keep the focus on that.
- We are a part of networked play. There are many other games that are all linked together to make a really cool living and breathing world. Because of that, your character must be based somewhere in Colorado. We will not approve characters that were 'people of note' or come from 'families of note' outside of Colorado. As per the background section of the book, you need to submit a background for approval if you want to be any sort of high standing, high ranking, well known, or influential muckety muck before entering game. Our game is based on the town of Dedstop, so you should focus your efforts for your back story as for WHY and HOW your character came to Dedstop.
- There is a section of suggested supplies in the LARP book, we highly suggest you bring these items plus whatever personal health and hygiene items you may need. Any items that are not genre appropriate should be stowed away in trunks or genre appropriate bags until you need them.
- If you are planning on playing a character that trades in scrap, herb, or produce you need to bring a number of bags with you to fulfill requirements outlined in the DR LARP rulebook. If you are planning on playing a brewer, or a character that uses many brews, please bring genre appropriate plastic bottles with you to game to store liquids in. With just a little effort appropriately shaped plastic drinking bottles can be found cheaply, often filled with liquids you will need during a DR LARP weekend (we all could use to drink more water!).
- When you attend game, you will need to fill out a release form before you will be allowed to play. This waiver can be found here. We encourage you to print this at home and bring it with you.